Soft Ginger Cookies (BEST) Makes about 36 cookies
I used several recipes and took what I wanted from each one and added a little of my own zing. These cookies are soft, flavorful and oh so easy to make. The thing to remember is that you must keep these in an airtight container or they will harden. If this happens; just add a slice of white bread to the container that your cookies are in. They will soften right up.
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground cloves
¼ tsp. salt
¾ cup unsalted butter, softened (no substitute)
1 cup sugar
¼ cup molasses
2 Tbsp. sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl with an electric mixer beat butter for 30 seconds. Add 1 cup sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add egg and molasses; beat well.
- Stir in half the flour mixture; beat until combined. Stir in remaining flour with a wooden spoon.
- Shape into 1-inch balls. Roll in 2 tablespoons sugar; place on ungreased cookie sheets 2 inches apart.
- Bake in preheated oven 10 minutes or until light brown and puffed.
- Let cool on cookie sheets 2 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.