I didn’t want to make the same old stuff with hamburger tonight, so I thought about what I had in the fridge and pantry…what veggies did I need to use up quick? What was I in the mood for? Here is what I came up with.
Beef and Mushrooms with Caramelized Onion Serves: 4
24 oz. baby gold potatoes
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
¾ to 1 large onion, sliced thin
1 lb. lean ground beef
2 packages brown gravy mix
1 stick butter; divided
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cut potatoes in halves and put in large sauce pan. Add water (to cover 2 inches above potatoes). Bring to a boil. When tender; remove from heat, drain and keep warm.
While Potatoes Are Cooking:
- Slice onions thin and mushrooms; set both aside.
- Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are soft. Remove from heat and sauté pan. Keep warm.
- Melt 1 Tbsp. butter into same pan and add sliced onions. Cook on medium-high until soft and caramelized. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Divide ground beef into 4 hamburgers; approximately ¼ inch thick. Salt and pepper each side. Melt remaining butter in same pan as used in steps 3 and 4. Add burgers to sauté pan and cook 3-4 minutes per side on medium heat. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Prepare gravy according to package directions. When just about done, add mushroom and dice up about ¼ of the onions; add to gravy and simmer until heated through.
For Mashed Potatoes:
You can use an electric mixer or hand masher for this.
Add ¼ cup milk and 4 Tbsp. butter to warm potatoes and mash. Add finely chopped chives and stir well.
These potatoes don’t need to be smooth. A little texture is a good thing with this recipe.
Spoon potatoes onto serving plate.
Lay burger over potatoes, spoon a line of onions on top of burger, spoon gravy over onions. Add chives if desired.