TIPS FOR HEALTHIER CASSEROLES
(Simple and Delicious)
If you are determined to eat better this New Year, you can still enjoy rich and bubbly casseroles with these smart tips.
- Choose whole wheat pasta or brown rice to bump up the fiber.
- Opt for lean beef, such as chuck or sirloin, or simply use a little less to trim calories.
- Aim to use boneless skinless chicken breast, pork loin or seafood in place of heavier meats.
- Add flavor by using herbs and spices instead of a lot of butter or cheese. If cream soup is a must, use the light version.
- Boost nutrition and save calories by replacing some high-calorie ingredients with your family’s favorite veggies.
- Try low-fat or fat-free versions of dairy products. Also try adding a little less of a full-fat sharp cheese instead of using more of a milder reduced-fat cheese for the best flavor and melting.