SLOW COOKER TIPS AND TRICKS
- Don’t lift the lid while cooking in the slow cooker, unless the recipe instructs you to stir or add ingredients. Each time you lift the lid, it an add 20 to 30 minutes of cook time.
- Be sure the lid is placed on the ceramic insert properly. Steam during cooking creates a seal.
- For ease with recipes that cook all day; place all ingredients in the crock the night before; cover and refrigerate overnight. Place the crock in the slow cooker in the morning and select the temperature.
- Don’t reheat foods in the slow cooker. Reheat cooked foods on the stove top or in the microwave and then put it in the slow cooker to keep it hot for serving.
- To cook food properly and safely, the USDA and manufacturer’s recommend the slow cooker be filled at least half full, but no more than two-thirds full.