Chicken Tortilla Soup Servings: 10
2 tsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium jalapeno pepper, chopped
½ medium green pepper
4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cups frozen corn
½ cup dry white wine or ½ cup water
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
4 (14 oz.) cans chicken broth
2 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
Fresh lime juice
1 cup tortilla chips (optional)
- Sauté onion, garlic, jalapeño and green pepper with olive oil in a large pot until soft.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients to the large pot and bring to a boil.
- After about 15 minutes, remove the chicken breasts and shred. (Two forks work well to pull the chicken apart!).
- Return shredded chicken to the pot and simmer an additional 45 minutes.
- Serve, topped with crushed tortilla chips if desired and freshly squeezed lime juice.