“Chopped smoked Bacon and fresh Basil top a creamy Tomato bisque flavored with more bacon and basil
Recipe from the Hunt’s “Best Meals. Best Moments. Recipe Contest” 2009 – Karen, Simpsonville, SC, 1st Place”
•1 pound smoked bacon, chopped
•1 small onion, chopped
•3 cloves garlic, peeled, finely chopped
•2 cans (14.5 oz. each) Hunt’s® Petite Diced Tomatoes, undrained
•1 can (14 oz.) chicken broth
•1 can (6 oz. each) Hunt’s® Tomato Paste with Basil, Garlic and Oregano
•1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
•1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil, divided
1. Heat large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot. Add bacon; cook 5 to 10 minutes or until crisp. Remove HALF of the bacon and drain on paper towels. Remove and discard all but 2 tablespoons bacon drippings.
2. Reduce heat to medium; add onion and cook 5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic; cook 1 minute more or until fragrant.
3. Stir in undrained tomatoes, broth and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in cream; simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add half of the basil to the tomato mixture. Remove soup from heat. Place a portion in blender container. Puree 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth. Repeat until all soup is pureed.
5. Place bisque in serving bowls; top with the remaining bacon and basil.
This bisque can be made a day ahead. Prepare entirely except for adding the heavy cream. The next day, heat bisque over medium heat until warm and stir in cream.