We have all done it; some of us repeatedly every year; forget something of importance (and it is usually a spice or seasoning) for our holiday meals.
Here is a sure fire way NOT to forget anything this year.
- Get out your recipes and make a list of every ingredient and its quantity (2 tsp. 3cups, etc.in the recipe (even water). Using a separate piece of paper for each dish. Lay those papers on the table.
- Gather all the ingredients you already have and set those ingredients in front of the corresponding paper. If you have dishes that use the same ingredient; set those recipes next to one another.
- Use a red or black sharpie and check off those ingredients you have and circle the ones you do not have or are low on.
- Make your grocery list. (If using an ingredient in three recipes; make sure you write down the total quantity; i.e. 7 Tablespoons…this way you know exactly what you need).
- As you put the items in your cart; cross them off the list. Do not tear the paper next to the name…this can be deceiving at times.
When you get home; double check your recipes with your ingredients at least 2 days prior to the big day. I know this seems like a lot of work, but in the kitchen; organization is key!