Apple Pie with a Twist
2 (9-inch) refrigerated rolled pie crusts (I recommend Pillsbury®)
2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled
2 Washington or Delicious apples, peeled
1 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup heavy cream
6 Tbsp. powdered sugar
Caramel ice cream topping
- Preheat oven to 400˚. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper and then spray paper with vegetable spray.
- Unroll pie crusts and cut with a 3-4” round cookie cutter. Cut 8 circles from each pie crust and place circles on first cookie sheet and pierce with fork many times. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Slice top from apples; slice each apple into ½ inch thick slices. Cut slices in half and remove any core or seeds.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon together and add apple slices. Toss to completely coat each apple slice. Shake off any excess cinnamon sugar mixture. Lay slices on second baking sheet and bake at 400˚ for 10-12 minutes or until dark brown but not burnt. Allow apple slices to cool for about 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, with electric mixer; beat heavy cream until it begins to thicken. Add powdered sugar and continue to beat until mixture becomes thick.
Lay one pie crust round on serving plate, lay 2-3 apples over crust, and add a dollop of whipped cream. Add another pie crust round, apples and whipped cream. Top with pie crust round, whipped cream, drizzle with warm caramel topping, sprinkle with chopped pecans. Serve immediately.