Blackberry Chiffon Pie Makes: 1 (9″) pie
3 cups fresh blackberries
⅔ cup water
1 (.25 ounce) package unflavored gelatin
¼ cup cold water
3 egg yolks, beaten
⅔ cup white sugar
3 egg whites
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
⅓ cup white sugar
½ cup heavy whipping cream
¼ cup fresh blackberries
Mint sprigs (optional)
1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust
- In a medium saucepan combine 3 cups blackberries and ⅔ cup water. Simmer over low heat until blackberries are soft. Press mixture through a sieve or strainer to remove seeds and obtain blackberry pulp.
- Place gelatin and ¼ cup cold water in a small bowl. Set aside and allow gelatin to soften.
- In a medium saucepan whisk together raspberry pulp, egg yolks, and ⅔ cup sugar. Bring to a full boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Add gelatin to blackberry mixture and stir until dissolved. Place pan in a cold water bath to cool completely.
- In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar. Add ⅓ cup sugar a little at a time, beating constantly until whites are stiff and glossy.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whip cream until stiff. Gently fold together with cooled blackberry mixture and meringue. Spoon mixture into graham cracker crust. Chill at least 2 hours before serving. Garnish with whole blackberries and mint sprigs.