Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy Makes 8 servings
2 pounds extra lean ground beef
2 large eggs, lightly beaten (or 4 egg whites)
1/4 cup unseasoned dry whole wheat breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
5 tablespoons unsalted organic butter
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed, quartered
2 medium shallots, minced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 (14-ounce) can low-sodium beef broth
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix beef, eggs or egg whites, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, salt, mustard, and pepper in a bowl. Form into 8 round patties and reserve.
2. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When it foams, place 4 patties in pan and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side until browned. Move cooked patties to a 13×9-inch baking dish. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan and cook remaining 4 patties. Drain grease from pan but keep browned bits.
3. Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in same pan. Add in mushrooms and shallots and season with salt and pepper. Saute for about 4 minutes or until mushrooms are soft.
4. Sprinkle flour over mixture and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in red wine to deglaze the pan, using a spatula to scrape up any browned bits from bottom of pan. Pour in broth and stir until smooth. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced to half.
5. Stir in 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce. Pour sauce over patties in baking dish and cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve warm with sauce from the pan spooned over the patties.
Herbed Peas and Carrots Makes 8 servings
1 tablespoon olive oil
7 medium carrots, peeled, small dice
2 medium shallots, peeled, finely chopped
Salt and black pepper to taste
1/4 cup water
1 pound frozen baby peas, thawed
1 tablespoon minced fresh Italian parsley
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Saute carrots and shallots, seasoned with salt and pepper, for 5 to 10 minutes, or until shallots are translucent. Pour in water and cook 5 to 6 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Mix in peas and cook 3 minutes to heat through. Take pan off of heat and top with parsley.