Scallop Seviche Portions: 6
(Professional Cooking, 7th Edition)
1 lb. Sea scallops (Bay scallops can be used and leave them whole)
4 fl. oz. Lime juice
2 oz. Red onion, chopped fine
½ Jalapeño, seeded and chopped fine
3 Tbsp. Chopped cilantro
1 Avocado, medium dice
4 oz. Tomato, peeled and seeded, small dice
Salt to taste
2 fl. oz. Olive oil
Lettuce leaves as needed
- Cut the scallops into quarters vertically, then slice crosswise ¼ inch thick (unless using bay scallops).
- In a non-reactive container, mix together the scallops, lime juice, and onion.
- Refrigerate about 12 hours or until the scallops have the texture of cooked scallops.
- Drain the scallops and onions, discarding the lime juice.
- Gently toss the scallops with the jalapeño, cilantro, avocado, and tomato.
- Add salt to taste.
- Mix in the olive oil.
- To serve, line small bowls or cups with lettuce leaves and spoon in the seviche.