Spicy Black Bean Soup Makes: 3 quarts Serves: 12
(Taken from Professional Cooking 7th Edition)
1 lb. Black Turtle Beans
Soak beans overnight in cold water
¾ fl. oz. Olive oil
4 oz. Onions, small dice
2 Garlic cloves, chopped
1 oz. Jalapeño or other fresh green chile, chopped
2 Tbsp. Chili powder
¾ tsp. Ground cumin
¾ tsp. Ground Coriander
1 Bay leaf
2 ½ qt. White stock, vegetable stock or water
½ lb. Tomatoes (canned), drained and chopped
Salt to taste
Hot pepper sauce to taste
Garnish: 4 oz. Avocado, medium dice and 4 oz. tomato, medium dice
(Remember to have soaked your beans)
- Heat olive oil in a heavy soup pot over moderate heat.
- Add onions, garlic, and jalapeño. Cook over low heat until almost tender.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, coriander, and bay leaf. Stir to mix in with the oil and veggies.
- Add the stock or water. Drain the soaked beans and add them to the pot.
- Cover and simmer until the beans are just tender.
- Add the tomatoes. Continue to simmer another 15-30 minutes, until the beans are completely tender and the flavors are well blended.
- Add salt and hot pepper sauce to taste.
- Carefully mix the diced avocado and tomato together. Garnish each portion of the soup with a spoonful of this mixture.