Quinoa Salad with Bell Peppers Makes: 6 Servings
4 ½ oz. Quinoa
¾ pint (1 ½ cups) Water
1/8 tsp. Salt
2 oz. Red bell pepper, small dice
2 oz. Green bell pepper, small dice
1 oz. Scallion, chopped fine
1 ½ oz. dried apricots, chopped fine (optional, but it does add to the flavor)
4 fl. oz. (8 Tbsp. Italian dressing (recipe below)
Salt to taste
6 Lettuce or radicchio leaves
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly in cold water. Drain.
- Combine the quinoa with the water and 1/8 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer slowly until the grain is cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Spread the cooked grain in a shallow pan to cool.
- Combine the cooled quinoa, bell peppers, scallions, cucumber, and apricot in a bowl.
- Add the dressing and toss to mix.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves on cold salad plates.
- Mound the salad mixture on the lettuce leaves.
(This can also be made with brown rice, farro, or couscous)
Italian Dressing Recipe Makes: 2 Pints (4 cups)
½ cup White wine vinegar
1 ½ tsp. Salt
½ tsp. White pepper
1 ½ cups Olive oil (you can use half olive oil and have salad oil; which is vegetable oil)
¾ tsp. Minced garlic
1 ½ tsp. Dried oregano
2 Tbsp. Chopped parsley
- Mix the vinegar, salt, and white pepper until the salt is dissolved.
- Using a wire whisk, mixing machine or blender, begin adding the oil a few drops at a time. Gradually increase the oil to a steady stream.
- Add garlic, oregano and parsley. Mix again. (The best way to re-emulsify a separated vinegar/oil dressing is to put it in a blender and spin at high speed until it is recombined).
Store unused dressing in an airtight container; in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Remix before each use.