Stuffed Green Peppers Makes 6-8 peppers
(I made 4 large peppers and froze the rest of the meat mixture for later use)
1.5 lb. ground beef (I used an 80%-20% ground beef for less fat)
½ onion, small chop
1 can (14.5 oz.) petite diced tomatoes, drained
1 can (15 oz.) pinto beans, drained
1 jar (26 oz.) of your favorite pasta sauce (I used Private Selection Organic Tomato & Basil)
2 cups rice, cooked (I used 2 bags of Boil n Bag white rice, cooked)
Fresh large green peppers, whole (I used 4 peppers for this dinner)
Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
Preheat oven to 350˚.
- Wash green peppers. Pat dry with paper towel. Slice tops off peppers and remove insides. Rinse inside of peppers and invert onto paper towels to dry.
- In large sauté pan, cook ground beef, drain. With ground beef, add onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add rest of ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Depending on how many you make, you will need either an 8×8 baking pan or larger. Spread a little sauce on bottom of baking pan. Fill peppers with meat mixture and stand up in baking pan.
- Cover lightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, add cheese, if desired and return to oven for 20-30 minutes more, until peppers are fork tender.
INNER CHEF NOTE: This recipe is great with leftover Red Beans and Rice with chopped sausage.