Strawberry Balsamic Pizza Makes: 6-8 mini pizza or 2 medium or 1 large
1 -1 ½ quarts fresh strawberries, washed dried and sliced thin
Fresh basil, chiffonade
1 cup Balsamic vinegar
Fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced thin
Pizza Crust (recipe below)
- Set grill to high or preheat oven to 400˚.
- Prepare pizza dough, wrap with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Start straight reduction, by putting 1 cup Balsamic vinegar in saucepan and let reduce to ½ cup.
- When reduction is complete, add strawberries to the reduction and let set for about a minute. Remove berries from reduction and let drain.
- Grease cookie sheet or pizza pan with spray oil. Lay out the pizza crust(s). Lay thinly sliced mozzarella on crust, follow with berries and finish with basil.
- Bake at 400˚ for 12-14 minutes. (Grilling directions to follow)
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
Pizza Crust Recipe
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 cup water
1 tbsp. cooking oil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare pizza pan by spraying with non-stick cooking spray. Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add liquids and stir to incorporate dry ingredients. Knead dough by hand 6-8 times on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough thinly. Place rolled dough onto prepared pizza pan, add favorite sauce and toppings. Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes, depending on crust thickness.
- Heat grill on high. Have all ingredients nearby as this goes quickly.
- Prepare pizza dough as directed above. Roll into a thin crust.
- Brush one side of crust with olive oil and sprinkle with cornmeal. Lay crust on grill oil side UP. When crust starts to bubble on top and grill marks are visible on bottom (1-3 minutes), carefully turn crust over.
- Quickly apply sauce and toppings. Close grill lid if possible; grill until cheese is melted. (this may only take 1-2 minutes)
Grill Instructions for Strawberry Pizza: Follow steps 1-3 omitting cornmeal). When crust is turned over, quickly top pizza in this order: cheese, strawberries, basil. Close lid if possible and grill until cheese is melted. Once again, this goes very quickly.
To Make a Sweet Strawberry Pizza:
- Prepare dough as above.
- Reduce balsamic to ¼ cup. Add 2-3 Tbsp. sugar and continuing cooking on low until sugar is dissolved.
- Prepare pizza by brushing olive oil on one side of crust. Lay crust on grill; oil side UP. When crust has been turned over, sprinkle crust with cinnamon-sugar mixture, layer with strawberries and sprinkle berries with white sugar. Close lid until crust is done. Immediately drizzle sweet reduction over pizza and serve.