Grilled Salsa Pizza
(Crust recipe below)
1 large tomato, chopped
½ onion, diced
Cilantro leaves, diced ( amount according to your taste)
Queso quesadilla cheese, finely shredded
Olive Oil for grill
- Combine tomato, onion and cilantro. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover tightly and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Once the salsa has chilled, heat grill on high heat and brush grill grates with olive oil. Lay crusts on a cookie sheet, brush one side of crust with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with corn meal.
- (This part goes fast so take the rolled out dough, salsa, cheese and large spatula with you to the grill.) Lay your pizza crust corn meal side-up on grill and close lid. Check after 30 seconds to see if the crust is ready to turn over; when the top of the crust is bubbling and the bottom has grill marks; time to flip.
- Once you flip your crust; quickly spoon salsa over crust, not quite to the edges, then sprinkle with cheese. Close lid, check in 30 second to see if cheese has melted and crust has grill marks. You may have to turn your grill to medium heat if the crust begins to burn.
- Remove your pizza and enjoy!
Pizza Crust for the Grill Makes: 2 (10”-12” pizzas
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
2/3 cup water
1 Tbsp. canola oil
Extra flour for dusting
- Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl.
- Add liquids and stir to incorporate dry ingredients.
- Knead dough by hand 6-8 times on a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in two. Roll dough to a thin crust.