Foil Foods 101
How to Make a Foil Packet
- Lay a large sheet of heavy-duty foil or a double layer of regular foil on a flat surface. (Use non-stick foil if indicated.)
- Put the ingredients in the center of the foil. Bring the short ends of the foil together and fold twice to seal; fold in the sides to seal, leaving room for steam to escape. Grill as directed. Each recipe serves 2-4 people.
How to Cook with Foil Packets
- When placing your ingredients on the sheet of foil, always put the meat on the bottom as it takes the longest to cook.
- Hard, raw vegetables like carrots and potatoes take a long time to cook. If you don’t want to wait, use the canned variety.
- When cooking meat, throw in some high-moisture veggies like tomatoes and onions. This will keep the meat from drying out.
- Cook your foil packet on the fire’s coals, not in the fire itself. Ideally, you want to place the packet on a bed of coals about 2 inches thick.