Beef Lo Mein
1 lb. flank steak, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced across the grain in thin slices
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
2 tsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. oyster sauce
½ tsp. sugar
½ lb. fresh Chinese egg noodles (lo mein noodles)
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
4 Tbsp. oil, divided
2 carrots, cut julienne
½ cup broccoli flowerets
About 8 leaves Chinese cabbage or romaine lettuce, cut in crosswise shreds
1 small (4-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- Mix beef with 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or sherry, and the cornstarch. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Combine remaining soy sauce and rice wine with oyster sauce and sugar. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add noodles, stirring to separate. Cook about 2 minutes, until al dente. Drain, rinse with cold water, and toss with sesame oil. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok. Add carrots and broccoli and stir-fry 1 minute. Add shredded cabbage or lettuce and mushrooms and stir-fry 1 minute longer. Remove.
- Heat another tablespoon of oil in the wok. Add beef mixture and stir-fry until browned, about 2 minutes. Remove.
- Wipe out wok. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in wok. Add noodles and stir-fry until they are heated through. Stir in vegetables and beef. Add sauce and stir-fry to mix well.