Swedish meatballs (1963) Makes 6 to 8 servings
5 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
3/4 cup light cream
3/4 cup packaged dry bread crumbs
1 1/2 lb. ground chuck
1/2 lb. ground pork
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon allspice
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup light cream
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon bottled gravy seasoning
1. Make Meatballs: In 1 tablespoon hot butter in skillet, sauté onion 3 minutes, or until golden.
2. In large bowl, combine cream, 3/4 cup water, and the bread crumbs. Add onion, ground meats, eggs, salt, pepper, allspice, and cloves; toss lightly, to mix well.
3. With teaspoon, shape into 75 meatballs, about 3/4 inch in diameter.
4. In 2 tablespoons hot butter in same skillet, sauté meatballs, a few at a time, until browned on all sides. Add more butter as needed. Remove meatballs, and set aside.
5. Make Sauce: Remove all but 2 tablespoons drippings from skillet. Stir in flour until smooth.
6. Gradually stir in cream and 1 1/2cups water; bring to boiling, stirring. Add salt, pepper, and gravy seasoning.
7. Add meatballs; heat gently 5 minutes, or until heated through. Serve garnished with parsley.