Poached Pears Serves: 6
(Taken from the culinary textbook, “Professional Cooking, 7th Edition)
½ qt. Water (4 cups)
¾ lb. Sugar (12 oz.)
1 tsp. Vanilla
- Combine the water and sugar in a large saucepot. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla.
- Peel the pears. Cut them in half and remove the cores with a melon ball cutter.
- Add the pears to the syrup and simmer very slowly until just tender.
- Let the pears cool in the syrup. When cool, refrigerate in the syrup until ready to serve.
NOTE: For Pears in Wine:
Substitute red or white table wine for the water. Omit the vanilla. Add 1 sliced lemon to the syrup. Peel the pears, but leave them whole.